As candidates begin campaigning for the June primary, we at WCMS and NMSA are gearing up for the 2019 legislative session. The NEMPAC and SIMPAC combined fund raiser in late April raised about $8,000 for WCMS’s SIMPAC.
Over the summer and early fall, we’ll be interviewing candidates to better understand their views about health care. The more voices we can add the stronger we’ll be when the 2019 session convenes next February.
We need all our voices. In addition to joining SIMPAC, there are several ways for you to contribute:
1. Get to know your legislators. If you don’t know who represents you, go to http://mapserve1.leg.state.nv.us/whoru/.
2. Introduce yourself to those folks through a phone call (the most effective) or email offering to help them understand the issues facing physicians in Nevada.
3. Ask for a meeting. Close your call or email with a request for a meeting. Offer 3 or 4 suggested times and dates. Be prepared to share your opinion about any pending healthcare legislation briefly and concisely. Keep in mind the purpose of your meeting is to provide evidenced-based facts; not to challenge or argue. Building a positive relationship is the goal.
4. Plan to attend Physician’s Day at the Nevada Legislature. We’ll alert you when the 2019 date is set. This is a terrific opportunity to meet with your legislators.
5. Participate in our joint NSMA/CCMS/WCMS governmental affairs commission where you can share your opinions and offer recommendations about anticipated legislation affecting
The important thing you can do is to communicate with us and your legislators. Don’t be silent. Use your voice.